To deliver quality legal services to internal and external clients in a cost-effective manner by developing and maintaining a highly competent and motivated work force.
(1) Formulate measures for the consideration of the Sanggunian and provide legal assistance and support to the mayor in carrying out the delivery of basic services and provisions of adequate facilities as provided for under Section 17 of the Local Government Code;
(2) Develop plans and strategies upon approval thereof by the mayor to implement the same, particularly those which have to do with programs and projects related to legal services which the mayor is empowered to implement and which the sanggunian is empowered to provide for under the Local Government Code;
In addition to the foregoing duties and functions, the legal officer shall:
(i) Represent the local government unit in all civil actions and special proceedings wherein the local government unit or any official thereof, in his official capacity, is a party: Provided, That, in actions or proceedings where a component city or municipality is a party adverse to the provincial government or to another component city or municipality, a special legal officer may be employed to represent the adverse party;
(ii) When required by the mayor or sanggunian, draft ordinances, contracts, bonds, leases and other instruments, involving any interest of the local government unit and provide comments and recommendations on any instrument already drawn;
(iii) Render his opinion in writing on any question of law when requested to do so by the mayor or sanggunian;
(iv) Investigate or cause to be investigated any local official or employee for administrative neglect or misconduct in office, and recommend appropriate action to the mayor or sanggunian, as the case may be;
(v) Investigate or cause to be investigated any person, firm or corporation holding any franchise or exercising any public privilege for failure to comply with any term or condition in the grant of such franchise or privilege, and recommending appropriate action to the mayor or sanggunian, as the case may be;
(vi) When directed by the mayor, or sanggunian, initiate and prosecute in the interest of the local government unit concerned any civil action on any bond, lease or other contract upon any breach or violation thereof; and
(vii) Review and submit recommendations on ordinances approved and execute orders issued by component units;
(3) Recommend measures to the sanggunian and advise the mayor on all other matters related to upholding the rule of law;
(4) Be in the frontline of protecting human rights and prosecuting any violations thereof, particularly those which occur during and in the aftermath of man-made or natural disasters or calamities; and
(5) Exercise such other powers and perform such other duties and functions as may be prescribed by law or ordinance.
Effective and efficient legal services with the least cost from the government