BRIEF HISTORY OF LEGAZPI
The City began as a Barangay called Sawangan (now Legazpi Port) whose inhabitants were mostly fishermen and farmers. From 1587 to 1616, the spiritual administration of the town was under the Franciscan friars of the DOCTRINA OF CAGSAWA (now Daraga). Officially, the Royal Decree dated 22 September 1856 gave the name LEGAZPI to the ancient village of Sawangan, to perpetuate the memory of the Adelantado Don Miguel Lopez de Legazpi. Don Lorenzo Hac was the first elected Gobernadorcillo. Rev. Camilo Abainza was acting Parish Priest.
First a city under the Becerra Law of 1892, it was dissolved into a municipality during the American occupation. A city for the second time by virtue of Republic Act No. 306 dated 18 July 1948, which included the Municipality of Daraga. On 8 June 1954, it was once more re-created as a municipality. Finally, on 12 June 1959, per Republic Act No. 2234, as amended by Republic Act No. 5525, Legazpi became a city for the third time. Presidential Decree No. 125, issued in 1973, declares the Municipality of Daraga as part of Legazpi City.
LEGAZPI CITY PROFILE
Legazpi Fine Sandy Loam, Legazpi Fine Sandy Loam-stony phase, Bascaran Clay, Annam Clay Loam, Louisiana Clay, Hydrosol, Mountain Soil undifferentiated, Lava Flow, Mayon Gravelly Sandy Loam.
Fishing Grounds, Metallic Ore Reserves, Non-Metallic Reserves (Pyrite Aggregates, Fertilizer Materials, Coal Reserves, Perlite Clay, Manganese)
The City has a total of 141 Residential Subdivisions and Housing Sites. 132 of which are Privately Owned and 9 are Government Owned.